Dec 22, 2014; Houston, TX, USA; Houston Rockets forward Corey Brewer (33) and Portland Trail Blazers guard Steve Blake (25) during the game at Toyota Center. Mandatory Credit: Troy Taormina-USA TODAY Sports
Houston Rockets Game Day: Sun Feb 8, 7:00 PM EST – CSNH, CSNW, Toyota Center – Houston, TX
The Rockets got a win in their first match-up versus the team who ended their season early last year, but it didn’t erase the pain of the early playoff oust. After that December 22nd game Portland went on a 8-1 run and then suddenly fell on hard times going 4-8 and learning LaMarcus Aldridge had torn a ligament in the thumb of his non-shooting hand.
Entering tonight’s contest the teams are seeded third and fourth with Houston holding a two and a half game edge and a win today would give them the season series edge since the teams only meet 3 times this season.
This game marks another for the Rockets versus top performing teams in this crazy stretch where the next 11 games feature 9 playoff teams.
For Portland they enter the game coming off a heartbreaking loss to Dallas. Portland were up by 16 points and blew the lead with just 20.9 seconds remaining and succumbed in overtime.
- Initially snubbed in the All-Star selections Damian Lillard learned today he will replace Blake Griffin who the Clippers advised will have surgery Monday on his elbow.
- Trailblazers have lost 7 in a row on the road including a heart breaker their last game when they led for most of it over Dallas who caught them late in the fourth quarter and beat Portland in overtime.
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to play through a ligament tear in his thumb
- Robin Lopez had returned from the broken hand and is giving stability back to Blazers’ defense
- So much has happened since the teams last met on December 22nd, Corey Brewer made his debut that night and a few days later Josh Smith was picked up off waivers after his release from the Pistons
- In his debut Brewer played 21 minutes and posted a stat line of 12-points, 4-rebounds, 5-assists, hit 2 of 4 three-pointers, had 5 steals and was a plus +23.
- Last time out James Harden scored 44 points and became the first player since Michael Jordan to score 40-points, get 5-assists and 5-steals in 35 minutes or less.
- Aldridge and Lopez did not play in the December 22nd game.
Next: What's in a number?