Houston Rocket Kostas Papanikolaou All-Star BBVA Replacement
The All-Star weekend roster of players for various events continues to receive tweaks as injured players pull out. The latest addition finds Houston Rocket Kostas Papinikolaou replacing injured Boston Celtic center Kelly Olynyk on the BBVA Compass Rising Stars event. This year the event has been reformatted to feature a United States Team of rookie and sophomore players facing their counterparts made up from NBA players of different countries on the World Team.
The event is expected to be much more competitive with national pride on the line. Early indications have the World Team favored to win. The BBVA Compass Rising Stars Challenge occurs Friday night in Brooklyn at the Barclay’s Center.
Originally Olynyk’s replacement was said to be Denver Nugget Jusuf Nurkic, but he apparently pulled out for personal reasons.
Papanikolaou marks the second replacement of an injured player coming from Houston Rocket. Rocket point guard Patrick Beverley was also a late addition, named as a replacement for John Wall in the Taco Bell Skills Challenge. Beverley will be part of the State Farm All-Star Saturday Night event which hosts 4 events:
- Degree Shooting Stars
- Taco Bell Skills Challenge featuring Rocket Patrick Beverley
- Foot Locker Three-Point Contest featuring Rocket James Harden and arguably the best 3-point roster of competitors ever
- Sprite Slam Dunk event
And, of course James Harden will start in the main event: the All-Star Game on Sunday.
A complete schedule for the All-Star weekend can be found on nba.com.
More from Space City Scoop
- Rockets: Time to return the slander towards Rachel Nichols
- What the Rockets must do with the second overall pick
- Houston Rockets: The case for, and against, trading Christian Wood
- NBA Rumors: Why the Houston Rockets shouldn’t trade up to no. 1 in NBA Draft
- 3 players that would be a perfect fit for the Houston Rockets at 23 or 24