May 25, 2015; Houston, TX, USA; Houston Rockets guard James Harden (13) walks off the court after the victory over the Golden State Warriors in game four of the Western Conference Finals of the NBA Playoffs. at Toyota Center. Mandatory Credit: Thomas B. Shea-USA TODAY Sports
Tonight is the Houston Rockets home opener against the Denver Nuggets. Every analyst, writer, editor and GM wants to take a shot at predicting how NBA stars will perform and which team or player will surprise us. Of the many questions being asked regarding this season the most popular are:
- Who will step up?
- What are the odds of reaching the playoffs?
- Who is lottery bound?
- Who is championship material?
The Space City Scoop writing team recently took our best shot answering most of these questions in our annual Round Table.
Following those guidelines, my objective in this article is more humble; I intend to select some specific elements of interest about the Houston Rockets and scrutinize them prior to the Rockets first game.
I arbitrarily picked out key aspects to review and debate. To that end, these topics will be the area of focus:
Starting Line-up and Bench Predictions:
- Stats: Who will exceed expectations?
- Who will under perform?
- Who is the Rockets toughest challenge?
- Which games will be the most exciting?
- Will there be trades? (at what point in the season will a trade likely occur)
- Should Daryl Morey target anyone to bolster the Rockets chances this year?
- What is the biggest challenge for the team this year?
- Following training camp and preseason what has McHale learned which requires improvement prior to season start?
Now let’s dive into our first subject:
Next: The Starters and Role Players