As the Houston Rockets training camp continues James Harden spoke of his role and the new philosophy after the September 26th practice session.
Harden praised head coach Mike D’Antoni and assistant coach and defensive specialist Jeff Bzdelik and the amazing job he feels they are doing. This is the second time he’s praised the coaches for taking a slow step by step process. This commentary does beg the question:
- Did other coaches just speak over his and his teammates heads?
- Were previous coaches not explaining how to get the result they were being asked to achieve?
- Or were the coaches not even bothering to explain?
- Did James Harden ever ask someone to explain a situation to him better.
- And conversely, did he ask, but get told figure it out.
- Moreover, since Howard knew how to defend, did he block the process for Harden to learn?
— Space City Scoop (@SpaceCity_Scoop) September 29, 2016
- James Harden said his job remains the same in essence, ie to create and do what’s necessary for the Rockets to win.
- Asked how he feels about handling the ball from the inbound pass, Harden said nothing much changes on his end.
- D’Antoni feels by James Harden beginning the motion it takes away the defensive plan to deny him the ball further down the court.
- James also pointed to the increased shooting, players who can also create shots for themselves as well as others and the floor spacing as major changes in the team this season.
Clearly Harden is hinting at Anderson and Gordon because they won’t require him to create their shot. Although Capela will need assistance arguably his offensive skill set is greater than Howard. Or at the very least his ceiling should be higher.
Harden seems keen to have all these shooters and floor spaces who’ll surround him.
Want your voice heard? Join the Space City Scoop team!
Make sure to check Space City Scoop regularly for the video diary sessions.