Credit: Thomas Campbell-USA TODAY Sports
Need a job? Are you a lawyer? Do you like basketball?
If you answered yes to all three or at least the first two then I have great news. The Houston Rockets are looking for a lawyer.
Over on NBA Jobs the position of Associate Legal Counsel is up for grabs. Just imagine how fun it would be to sit at the negotiation table across from Dwight Howard, or Chris Paul. Of course Dwight, or Chris, would have nothing to say to you, but they will slide you the contract
signed, and then YOU, can put the contract in the briefcase. What Fun!
Here is the breakdown, I will translate where needed.
This position acts as an interface between the legal department and other business units (you talk to multiple people) regarding legal issues in connection with the development of agreements with sponsors, licensees, customers, and other external parties (so NO, you do not get to meet Howard, or Chris. But I’m sure you get to meet Harden, and Lin. )
RESPONSIBILITIES include but are not limited to:
• In conjunction with the VP, Drafts and analyzes (writes, and looks at) sponsorship agreements, employment agreements, independent contractor agreements, and a myriad of other types of agreements and documents
• Advises business staff on legal issues and risks (has opinion)
• Supports the continuous improvement of standard form agreements and legal department processes (can learn)
• Remains current on laws, rulings, and regulations affecting our business or within identified areas of responsibility and helps implement appropriate actions (is smart)
• Demonstrates our One Team philosophy of Passion, Accountability, Customer Focus, and Teamwork. (works well with others)
• Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university
• Juris doctor degree
• Licensed to practice law within the United States
• In-depth knowledge of trademark law and corporate governance
• Practiced law for minimum of 5 years in corporate/business law (including at least 3 years at a mid- or large-size law firm)
• Detailed-oriented, hard-working, and business-minded
• Consistently meets deadlines
• Strong legal research and contractual/statutory interpretation abilities
• Excellent organizational skills; ability to handle multiple priorities simultaneously
• Able to work under pressure and to handle work-related stress
• Friendly, courteous, professional, outgoing, and customer-service oriented
• Able to work independently and productively with minimum supervision
The Rockets want a damn good lawyer.
PHYSICAL & MENTAL REQUIREMENTS:
• The employee is regularly required to stand, sit, walk, use handle or feel, reach, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, communicate with others.
• The vision requirement includes the ability to review written and electronic materials in both digital and physical format.
• The employee must be able to transfer and move items for departmental needs.
• The employee must be able to adjust to changing work hours and locations as needed in light of the strong focus on external communications and relationships.
Well aside from the always awkward Physical, and Mental requirements, the Houston Rockets need a great lawyer. It’s too bad all my law knowledge is derived from the movie Time to Kill, and Law & Order: SVU.