Houston Rockets Hosting Blacktop 3 on 3 Battle This Weekend
If you live in Houston and you’re looking for something exciting to do this weekend the Rockets may have the perfect event for you. They are hosting the Blacktop 3 on 3 Battle which should offer plenty of excitement for the entire family. If you’ve never witnessed an event of this nature be prepared for some exciting “street ball” type games featuring all levels of skills. I remember attending a 3 on 3 event years ago and was struck by the talent and how into the games the spectators got. Be prepared for lots of ooh’s and aah’s as the players show off their hops.
There are 6 Divisions:
- Youth Division (ages 10 – 14)
- Youth Division (15 – 17)
- Adult Competitive
- Adult Elite
- Adult Recreational
- Wheelchair Division
Saturday June 13:
- Games begin at 8:00 A.M. and run until 3:00 P.M.
- Slam Dunk, 3-Point Shoot-out and Skills Finals begin
- End of event day – 4:00 P.M.
Sunday June 14:
- 8:00 to 9:00 A.M. – playoff games
- 9:00 to 12:00 Noon – Championship games and awards
- 1:00 P.M. Event ends
Jan 15, 2015; Houston, TX, USA; Houston Rockets mascot Clutch plays with the fans while the Rockets play the Oklahoma City Thunder at Toyota Center. Mandatory Credit: Thomas B. Shea-USA TODAY Sports
The top teams in each division advance and the number of teams advancing will be determined by the number of participating teams by division.
For those planning to attend this exciting event please note Saturday will be the preliminary games and Sunday will feature all playoff games.
How the Game Works:
While you may be used to watching the Houston Rockets games these 3 on 3 tournaments work a little differently in terms of their time limit, number of players on the court and scoring. Here is a quick run down to help you be prepared for what to expect:
- Each team will have a minimum of 4 players (a fifth team member is optional)
- Each team will play three games versus teams in their own division/bracket.
- Playoffs seeding will be determined by the top seeds in each division/bracket
- There must be 2 players on the court to start and finish the game
- Winners are the first to 11 points with a 2 point margin or whoever is ahead after 15 minutes (whichever occurs first)
- Baskets are worth one point unless shot from behind the three point arc (those baskets are worth two points).
- 30-second shot clock in effect
Food and concessions will be available to purchase at a concession stand on Clay Street which will be open all day.
Fun For the Whole Family:
This really is an event the entire family can enjoy with lots of different levels of skill on display in the games as well as an interactive kid’s zone with inflatables, food and entertainment. In addition sponsors will have activity booths set up.
For questions or updates regarding the tournament or weather:
More from Space City Scoop
- Rockets: Time to return the slander towards Rachel Nichols
- What the Rockets must do with the second overall pick
- Houston Rockets: The case for, and against, trading Christian Wood
- NBA Rumors: Why the Houston Rockets shouldn’t trade up to no. 1 in NBA Draft
- 3 players that would be a perfect fit for the Houston Rockets at 23 or 24