Houston Rockets Game Day: Rockets vs. Nuggets
If it feels like the Denver Nuggets have unwittingly become the Houston Rockets measuring stick that’s probably because they have!
Right out of the gate Denver shocked Houston on opening night beating them by 20 points on their home court. So, when the Rockets traveled to Denver on November 13th and lost again they became this seasons’ Rockets nemesis.
While there is reason to not write off the Denver club (and yes they have been playing much better) on a whole the talent in Houston should far out weigh what Denver brings to the court.
Heading into this evenings match Houston have won 7 of their past 9 games and Denver have won 3 of their past 4.
Still, if there was ever a team who the Rockets will want to beat it’s the Nuggets who’ve been the constant reminder of their problems all season. A win tonight could provide a psychological extra which might not seem important given the Nuggets 9-13 record, but in truth it could help bolster confidence that the squad is moving in the right direction.
Venue: Pepsi Center, Denver Colorado
Game Time: 9:00 PM EST – 8:00 PM CT
TV: ROOT in Houston, Altitude in Denver
Radio: 790 AM in Houston, KRWZ in Denver
- Darrell Arthur is listed as questionable for tonight due to a sore knee
- Emmanuel Mudiay is listed as out due to an ankle injury
- Jusuf Nurkic – knee, targeting December return
- Wilson Chandler– right hip surgery, out for season
- Donatas Motiejunas – still recovering from off season back surgery, no update on scheduled return date
Notably while the Rockets have suffered all season with injuries tonight represents possibly the first time in the past 2 seasons a team will face them with copious players out injured while the Rockets are generally healthy.
With Mudiay listed as out it sure would be nice to see Ty Lawson explode for a big night against his former backup Jameer Nelson. And while Harden will have the big edge at the shooting guard position the real battle will come down to stopping Gallinari’s scoring and matching Faried’s energy.
Keys to Winning:
- Attack the Paint: Denver allows
- Take advantage of poor paint protection by Denver
- Protect the ball, Denver has strong wing players who can flip turnovers into fast break points immediately
- Denver hasn’t been a great perimeter defending team, but Rockets need to be careful if their shot isn’t falling not to force it
- Stay focused: This game needs to be attacked right from the tip. More than any other game this season this match needs to be a game the Rockets approach aggressively with the goal of ending it early.
The odds makers have made the Rockets favored by 4 points with an over/under of 209.5
Given the Rockets have been embarrassed TWICE by Denver one would think it’s an automatic the team would be dialed in to make a statement, but they haven’t proven to do what we expect this entire season. Hopefully tonight that will change.
I’m going to make a bold prediction and say the Rockets win and win by double digits.
For more exciting news and stories on the Denver Nuggets visit our affiliate Fansided site: Nugg Love
And check our our Preseason Team Preview of the Denver Nuggets:
Make sure you catch up on our entire Team Preview Series, our Houston Rockets Player Profile Series as well as our SCS Round Table Sessions to help you get through the early season. Start your morning with SCS Rocket Science Daily and visit us throughout the day to keep abreast of all your Houston Rockets news and updates.