Dwight Howard appeared on the Dan Patrick radio show this week and opined on his time as a Houston Rocket and strained relationship with James Harden.
Dwight Howard‘s appearance on the Dan Patrick Show this past Friday offered some rather enlightening items:
Emotion of returning to home
- Howard got emotional in his introduction because of so many landmarks that reminded him of his youth.
- Not being involved in offense
- Played on his mind
Tougher situation Lakers or Rockets?
- Couldn’t pick one over the other, but said they both affected him
- Did say he was misled on how he’d be utilized and the Rockets didn’t follow through on what they said. Howard said it tested his patience and awoke his fire for this new situation.
Will he be featured in Atlanta?
- Howard said that isn’t important, it’s more about being in tip-top shape and confident
Durant’s decision and Cuban saying it’s good for business
- Howard agreed, says Warriors’ games will all be sold out as will Durant jerseys (gee I wonder if he’s ready for the Hawks games to be like a morgue in comparison)
Does he have a favorite Timmy Duncan story?
- In his rookie year he was so excited to play Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett (his 2 favorite players). He had practiced Duncan’s shot hoping to use it against the Big Fundamental. When the shot went no where near what he was hoping Duncan laughed and patted him on the butt.
Why he changed his number to 8
- His mother lost 7 children and he wasn’t expected to survive
- Howard also wanted to arrive with a whole new mind set including his number
- His birthday is December 8th
What college did he almost pick
- USC (partially because Michael Jordan went there)
- On the one and done year – he does believe it helps with the kids learning to be more financially responsible
How bad was the back injury?
More from Space City Scoop
- Rockets: Time to return the slander towards Rachel Nichols
- What the Rockets must do with the second overall pick
- Houston Rockets: The case for, and against, trading Christian Wood
- NBA Rumors: Why the Houston Rockets shouldn’t trade up to no. 1 in NBA Draft
- 3 players that would be a perfect fit for the Houston Rockets at 23 or 24
- He was suppose to sit out an entire season, but chose to play because he wanted to be a factor
- In Houston he said most of the games he missed this past season (like back to back situations) were team decisions (not his)
Tougher to play with Kobe or Harden?
- (he laughs) and gives a politically correct answer which the hosts call him out for
- He does say Kobe and him didn’t have a bad relationship that the media made it more than it was and they were at different stages in their careers
- Perhaps the fact he didn’t really address Harden answers the question
- The host responds “I’ll answer for you…. Kobe’s personality was harder to play with and Harden’s game was harder to play with”
The full interview can be heard here:
SCS will update as free agency news develops. For now if you’re a fan who wants to follow free agency closely check the NBA Free Agency Tracker (updated daily)
and the Free Agency Profiles for all 30 teams entering Free Agency:
Space City Scoop is always looking to add new talent to our writing team. Currently we’re looking for individuals with a specialized focus. The first area of focus is perfect for someone who is constantly surfing the web for breaking news on injuries, trades, insider info etc. This individual would select the top news items and provide timely quick hits to keep SCS readers in the loop.
The other area of focus is someone who possesses a strong social media background who likes to interact with Clutch City Fans. You’ll promote SCS team content on facebook and twitter while also making sure to promote the best content coming from H-Town fans. If you have this capability and are interested then check out this link and fill out an application.