Houston Rockets formally introduced Ryan Anderson and Eric Gordon to the team and city. The press conference also included head coach Mike D’Antoni, GM Daryl Morey and owner Leslie Alexander.
In their first press conference with the Houston Rockets Ryan Anderson and Eric Gordon were introduced and the panel took questions from the press. Here’s the top lines from the media presser:
- Rockets are putting together a new core
- Anderson and Gordon are perfect for new style
- Morey believes team “as is” is championship team and thinks chemistry and fit are equally as important as stars
- Expects a deep run this season to attract more stars next summer
- Morey saw Anderson as a primary target due to his floor spacing , his 3-point shot and calls him the best floor spacing 4 in the league with a versatile set of moves
- Calls Gordon the perfect compliment to Harden
- Said Rockets had a bad year and still made playoffs
- Cited shooting and passion as key attributes the new players bring
- Says teams will have to beat us, but we won’t beat ourselves
- Avoids question on how Anderson and Gordon will be utilized and whether they will start
- He does commit saying roles will be defined with guaranteed minutes (assuming players give effort)
- Asked how he plans to utilize Gordon and Harden together he again wouldn’t commit especially regarding how he plans to manage ball handling. D’Antoni did clarify he prefers not to consider players in specific positions preferring rather to see them as players who can guard various players i.e. postionless.
Ryan Anderson :
More from Space City Scoop
- Rockets: Time to return the slander towards Rachel Nichols
- What the Rockets must do with the second overall pick
- Houston Rockets: The case for, and against, trading Christian Wood
- NBA Rumors: Why the Houston Rockets shouldn’t trade up to no. 1 in NBA Draft
- 3 players that would be a perfect fit for the Houston Rockets at 23 or 24
- Says this was a long time coming wanted to play in Houston for ever
- Calls Harden best player in NBA
- Specifically is excited for the wide open looks he’ll gain via Harden’s passes.
- Loves team culture and was impressed Leslie Alexander was at meeting
- Says his first call after agreement to come to Houston was to Eric Gordon
- His statement that he was looking forward to a team with strong defined roles and solid chemistry like he had in Orlando was very telling (i.e. that didn’t exist in New Orleans!)
Excited to be part of winning organization which he hasn’t had much experience with
Reiterated Anderson’s sentiments about wanting to play in Houston for a long time
Says his injuries have all been of the ‘fluke’ nature and there aren’t concerns of re-injury for any of his previous ailments.
For the full press conference watch the top video.
SCS will update as free agency news develops. For now if you’re a fan who wants to follow free agency closely consider checking out my Free Agency Profiles for all 30 teams:
Along with articles covering the draft:
Space City Scoop is always looking to add new talent to our writing team. Currently we’re looking for individuals with a specialized focus. The first area of focus is perfect for someone who is constantly surfing the web for breaking news on injuries, trades, insider info etc. This individual would select the top news items and provide timely quick hits to keep SCS readers in the loop.
The other area of focus is someone who possesses a strong social media background who likes to interact with Clutch City Fans. You’ll promote SCS team content on facebook and twitter while also making sure to promote the best content coming from H-Town fans. If you have this capability and are interested then check out this link and fill out an application.