Houston Rockets Game 3 of 2015-16 featured the Miami Heat and a third consecutive loss of 20 points.
Continuing SCS series of all 82 games from last season next up is the Houston Rockets Game 3 of 2015-16 versus the Miami Heat.
Nov 11, 2015; Houston, TX, USA; Houston Rockets guard Marcus Thornton (10) looks up after a play during the second quarter against the Brooklyn Nets at Toyota Center. Mandatory Credit: Troy Taormina-USA TODAY Sports
The Houston Rockets added draft picks and signed free agents to improve upon an especially mediocre 41-41 campaign. Big man Dwight Howard left for Atlanta while free agents Ryan Anderson, Eric Gordon, Nene Hilario and Pablo Prigioni joined Houston in free agency.
Therefore Houston hopes their free agent additions and the growth of existing assets will translate into a season similar to 2014-15. While fans wait for October 26th opening night versus the Lakers hopefully this series will appease your cravings.
To that end, this series showcases the Rockets 82 games noting the pregame analysis, post game grades, and relevant video. Furthermore, SCS will highlight significant changes made by their opponents this summer. So, here it is – – enjoy all 82 posts as SCS takes you back over the 2015-16 season.
Game 3 – Miami Heat
In the Rockets first game on the road of the season Houston suffered their third consecutive 20 point loss.
In the Rockets first road game of the 2015-16 season they traveled to Miami. After 2 straight losses of 20 points the Rockets were keen to get on track. Unfortunately the opposite occurred as they lost their third consecutive game by 20 points.
SCS pregame analysis highlighted the need for the Rockets to focus defensively, you can read the full article here.
Post Game Analysis:
Marcus Thornton emerged in this game showcasing his shooting skills and efficiency. Thornton led the Rockets to a 19 point half time lead. But, the second half eclipsed into another defensive break down as Houston once again suffered a lopsided loss of 20 points.
ESPN’s box score can be reviewed via this link.
Marcus Thornton led the Rockets with 21 points while Trevor Ariza grabbed 7 rebounds and James Harden dished 7 assists.
Furthermore Hassan Whiteside had a huge game scoring 25 points, grabbed 15 rebounds and blocked 2 shots. Goran Dragic pitched in with 6 assists.
Rockets Games vs Heat in 2016-17
- January 17th in Miami at American Airlines
- February 15th at home
Obviously the big news for the Miami Heat was the loss of Dwyane Wade who seemingly left over pride. After repeated contract negotiations over his pro career Wade had never been the highest paid player on the Heat. Finally Wade chose to test the waters and ultimately signed with his home town Bulls.
Incoming Free Agents:
- D-League Player Rodney McGruder on a 3-year deal.
- Derrick Williams to a reported 1-year, $5M deal exits Knicks
- Wayne Ellington to 2-years, $12M exits Nets
- James Johnson to 1-year, $4M deal exits Raptors
- Willie Reed to 2-year deal exits Nets
- Dion Waiters agreeing to a 2-year $6M deal exiting Thunder
- Stefan Jankovic with partial guarantee training camp contract
Exiting Free Agents:
- Dwyane Wade deal is reportedly for 2-years, $47.5M as he heads home to Chicago
- Luol Deng 4-year $72M with Lakers
- Joe Johnson 2-year, $22M with Jazz
- Gerald Green 1-year, $1.5M deal with Celtics
- Hassan Whiteside 4-year, $98M
- Tyler Johnson Heat matched $50M offer sheet Nets offered
- While the Heat missed the boat with Dwyane Wade they decided to step up to the plate with Udonis Haslem on a reported 1-year, $4M deal
Next up Game 4 versus Oklahoma City Thunder