Apparently the Houston Rockets head coach search has expanded to include former player Kenny “the Jet” Smith.
Another out-of-the-box name Houston is said to be considering for a coaching interview: Rockets backcourt alumnus Kenny Smith (@TheJetOnTNT)
— Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) May 5, 2016
More from Space City Scoop
- Rockets: Time to return the slander towards Rachel Nichols
- What the Rockets must do with the second overall pick
- Houston Rockets: The case for, and against, trading Christian Wood
- NBA Rumors: Why the Houston Rockets shouldn’t trade up to no. 1 in NBA Draft
- 3 players that would be a perfect fit for the Houston Rockets at 23 or 24
Of course the guys at TNT, Inside the NBA pounced on this and asked Kenny directly if it was true. When asked by Charles Barkley on the veracity of the rumor or if Smith was even interested Smith responded with a safe “If it’s basketball it’s me.” That didn’t satisfy Barkley who continued to push Smith if he would be interested. To which The Jet joked if Shaquille O’Neal would be his assistant it would be fun.
It was obvious, he wasn’t going to give an answer one way or another. What that lends itself to is one of three possible solutions:
- Smith is interested and an interview will happen?
- Kenny is interested, but it’s a rumor so by not saying anything it opens the door for owner Alexander and GM Morey to contact him
- The Jet isn’t interested, but wants other teams and General Managers to keep his name in their heads
Suffice to say, we won’t know if there is truth in Marc Stein’s tweet until an actual interview occurs. But one thing is for certain: Should Smith end up as Houston’s head coach, his good friend Charles Barkley may back off his dislike for the Rockets organization and it may increase the amount of air time they get on Inside the NBA.
Make sure you check out Space City Scoops end of season Rockets Round Table:
Space City Scoop is always looking to add new talent to our writing team. Currently we’re looking for individuals with a specialized focus. The first area of focus is perfect for someone who is constantly surfing the web for breaking news on injuries, trades, insider info etc. This individual would select the top news items and provide timely quick hits to keep SCS readers in the loop.
The other area of focus is someone who possesses a strong social media background who likes to interact with Clutch City Fans. You’ll promote SCS team content on facebook and twitter while also making sure to promote the best content coming from H-Town fans. If you have this capability and are interested check out this link and fill out an application.